Nerves before LEJOG


DONATE HERE TO BHS TANZANIA PROJECT

Bike ready. Fig rolls, malt loaves, gels and protein bars ready. Hydration sorted. More than 4,500 km training completed already this year. So why am I so nervous?

On Sunday July 7thAndy Hoggarth, John Grindley and I will head off on our LEJOG challenge. This wasn’t really supposed to happen. But a beer fuelled pub conversation is about to become very real. 7 days. 1500km cycling. And enough climbing to do Mount Everest 1.75 times. 

Kit, nutrition and hydration sorted!


No day will be less than 190km. To put that in context until April this year I have never cycled more than 185km and that was once in May 2018. Now I will cycle distances ranging from 190km to 250km for 7 consecutive days. 

I don’t remember being this nervous when I set out on my 2,100km cycle on the Wild Atlantic Way over 15 days in Ireland. Is it because the daily distances are much longer? Maybe. Is it because there is so much climbing? Maybe. Is it because of doubts about being able to keep up with Andy and John? Probably. 

But I don’t care how nervous I am. I will do this because I promised to raise £10,000 for 2 great causes. Already we have raised over £3,000 for Aspergillosis and for that we are profoundly thankful to everyone who has donated so far. It also means we get an additional £2,000 promised from an Irish donor for reaching £3k…so long as we finish the ride. To date we have raised just over £1,500 of our £5,000 target for the Balerno High School Tanzania project. If we can double that it triggers another £2,000 donation from the Irish friend of mine. 


Supporting Aspergillosis on our challenge

I hope you will follow us on the journey and make it a complete success by helping us raise the remaining £1,500. 

Rest assured I plan to finish this!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Heaven sent

Help Duncan Watson and his S5 and S6 friends build a house in Tanzania