Heaven sent

DONATE HERE TO BHS TANZANIA PROJECT

With just 3 weeks left to the start of our LEJOG challenge I decided to spend a weekend in Ireland - home. The idea of 4 seasons in one weekend was never more apt. Beautiful blue skies on Saturday delivered beaches better than the mediterranean but with a fraction of the people. Surfing, not cycling, is the sport of preference around these places but with a long Sunday cycle I was not tempted.



Since we decided it would be a weekend just for Denise and I that meant I could do what ever I wanted on father’s day! What else but a Sunday morning cycle in some of Ireland’s most beautiful and rugged scenery. When I asked Declan at Westport Bike Hire what the weather would be like on Sunday his answer didn’t fill me much hope. Sun, wind and monsoon rain as a description probably wouldn’t have helped his hire pitch!



If it had been blowing a gale with torrential rain nothing would have stopped me cycling on Father’s day. Louisburgh, Westport and Leenane are some of the most beautiful places in the world and I knew no matter what the weather I was in for a spectacular cycle. A nice flat start, sheltered from the wind for the first 10k only hinted at what was to come - stunning views of the atlantic and a couple of testing climbs or what John might describe as “wee kickers”. Soon it was a left turn up the hill to Harpers and on to what is described in  the Westport Sea to Summit event as “back breaking ramps at the Maum climb that will test your bike and quad muscles”. My bike was built for comfort, not speed but cycling on 35 mm tyres is definitely not the preferred option for the “ramps” but needs must. I must be getting stronger as the climb seemed easier than the other times I’ve done it and as always I was rewarded at the top by stunning views.



On from there to Drummin past the church where mass had just started. Do I go left to Westport or right to Leenane - ah sure it’s a lovely morning I’ll head to Leenane. First time on this route and more beautiful views and a long gradual ascent before I emerge at Doolough valley. If you haven’t been there put it on your bucket list. I must have been through that valley a thousand times and it is still my favourite place on earth.


Mind you it was raining cats and dogs when I got there so the view from the other end was a little less welcoming.



Head down I set off for Louisburgh my home from birth and remembered in song by Basil Morahan as “God’s Pocket dear old Louisburgh in Mayo”. It was about 11.30 so as I passed the local church mass was starting. In the 1980s Ireland was a conservative country where difference was avoided. That day a fantastic LGBT choir sang the hymns in my local church. I wasn’t there but I heard them in the pub the night before and the’d lift any occasion.



It was only 20km back to Westport at this stage. For the third time I passed a church in Lecanvey where mass had started. I was beginning to think it was an omen and sure enough it proved to be. A few kms further on I reached the famine monument at the bottom of Croagh Patrick - Ireland’s holy mountain - where I bumped into an old friend. He didn’t know I cycled and as we chatted I told him about our LEJOG challenge and the charities we were supporting. He was suitably surprised and immediately volunteered to underwrite the challenge. “Daithi", he said, "I will guarantee you £4,000 on 2 conditions - firstly each of the 2 causes must raise £3,000 and I will deliver the remaining £2,000”. Delighted I asked what the other condition was. Having told him that I was the slowest of the group and being my friend he said “the 2 lads have to take care of you; ye must all finish together and they must not finish more than 10 minutes ahead of you any day...and I’ll be checking strava he said knowingly”.




A spring in my step I took no time at all in the wind and the rain to get back to Westport. So now John, Andy and our supporters let’s get the fundraising up to £3k. And of course my friend will be checking strava....





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nerves before LEJOG

Help Duncan Watson and his S5 and S6 friends build a house in Tanzania